Spelunking in Ruby
Here are some resources to help you in debugging your code. Based off my Spelunking in Ruby presentation for Barcelona Ruby Conf, September 2014.
- Reading Code: Great talk from Evan Phoenix about reading code
- Debugging without Doom and Gloom: Carol Nicols on reading stack traces and debugging without fear
- English alternatives for Ruby globals: Demystifying the $!
- Pry: An awesome replacement for IRB, debugger and probably other things as well.
- REPL Driven Development with Pry: Awesome video from RubyConf 2013 diving deep into using Pry
- pry-byebug: MRI 2.0+
- pry-debugger: MRI 1.9.2+
- pry-nav: Everyone else!
- pry-stack_explorer: Navigate the stack in pry
- Repeat pry commands with this one weird trick!
- My .pryrc
- Hometown: A gem for tracking object creation
- VisualVM: Heap dumps and profiling for JRuby
- How to Debug Anything: Awesome talk by James Golick about using strace in production
- rbtrace: Like strace for Ruby, from Aman Gupta